Grants and funding
Sport and Recreation provides funding to increase opportunities for participation in sport and active recreation in Tasmania, and to assist the ongoing development of Tasmania's sport and recreation sector.
Clubs, not-for-profit organisations and local government entities that provide sport and active recreation opportunities to the Tasmanian community are invited to apply.
For the purposes of Sport and Recreation's grant programs:
- 'Sport' is defined as: A human activity involving physical exertion and skill as the primary focus of the activity, with elements of competition where rules and patterns of behaviour governing the activity exist formally through organisations and is generally accepted as a sport.
- 'Active Recreation' is defined as: Active recreation activities are those engaged in for the purpose of relaxation, health and wellbeing or enjoyment with the primary activity requiring physical exertion, and the primary focus on human activity.
We are currently finalising our funding programs for 2022-23. Please check back for updates.
Please go to the relevant grant program to view the most recent recipients.
For further information, please contact Sport and Recreation by email at Info@sportrec.tas.gov.au or phone on 1800 204 224.
Applications closed at 5:00 pm on Monday, 11 October 2021.
The Sport and Recreation State Grants Program offers financial assistance to increase the capacity of state sporting organisations, state disability sporting organisations, state sector service providers and state active recreation providers to administer, develop and grow their sport, active recreation or services in Tasmania.
Grant funding period: 1 January 2022 - 31 December 2022
All eligible organisations will be assessed, and notification of outcomes will be provided in writing. All funding decisions are final and are not subject to review.
Ineligible organisations will not be assessed. Organisations will be advised in writing if they are deemed ineligible.
Eligible organisations must:
- Have met all prior reporting obligations to the satisfaction of CSR; and
- Be a state sporting organisation, state disability sporting organisation, state sector service provider or state active recreation provider as defined below.
Eligibility is based on the status of the organisation at the time of lodgement of the Eligibility Declaration.
For further information, please contact Sport and Recreation by emailing email@example.com or phoning on 1800 252 476.
Previous Grant Recipients
Funds for the Sport and Recreation Major and Minor Grants Programs are made available from the Tasmanian Government's Community Support Levy (CSL). The CSL is funded from a percentage of the gross profits from gaming machines in hotels and clubs in Tasmania. The disbursement of CSL funds is outlined in Section 151 of the Gaming Control Act 1993. The CSL is distributed by the Treasurer in the following manner:
- 25% for the benefit of sport and recreation clubs;
- 25% for the benefit of charitable organisations;
- 50% for the provision of:
- research into gambling; and
- services for the prevention of compulsive gambling; and
- treatment or rehabilitation of compulsive gamblers; and
- community education concerning gambling; and
- other health services.
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has responsibility for the CSL distribution and activities associated with (b) and (c) above. Information is available from DHHS on (03) 6166 3564 or by visiting the DHHS website.
For information about the CSL, please contact the Department of Treasury and Finance on (03) 6166 4444 or visit the Treasury website. Information may be found under the Liquor and Gaming section of the website
In 2020-21, the COVID-19 Sport and Recreation Grants Programs – Tranche 3 and Tranche 4 offered in place of the Minor and Major Grants Programs.
Funding was available through the following grant programs:
Sport and Recreation Grants Programs
Once a program has closed and the assessment process is complete, successful recipients can be found on the link under the relevant program.
- CLOSED - Improving the Playing Field Grants Program
- CLOSED - National / International Sport Championships Program
- CLOSED - Solar Power for Sporting Clubs Program
- CLOSED - Sport and Active Recreation Equipment Grants Program
- CLOSED - Sporting Competitions Access Fund
- CLOSED - State Grants Program